Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Have I lied? A beginning thought...

Thought of Provocation
It has been a while since I have written on this blog. For a while I made some quick videos. It was novel. I do enjoy making the videos, along with the bloopers of my own mistakes. But all in all, I have been given a gift of words. It truly is an amazing gift that the Father has given me, especially since Mr. Roboto was my nickname in school. (After all, I could not talk at a normal pace without stutter. Instead, I talked really slow and monotone.)

Words give me the ability to create pictures, worlds, EVEN LIFE itself. No, I am not blaspheming the Holy Word. God said that I am created in HIS image. He is a creator who has bestowed me with the ability to create as well.  But I have my limitations. What I create with my words are but an inkling of what life is like sustained by our loving Heavenly Father.

 But what do I do with my words, this is what changes for me. I have seen my words be a source of hurt. I have seen my words as a source of passion. I have seen my words as a source of comfort. I have seen my words as a source of change.  I am a wordsmith who enjoys his gift.

Right now, I am in the middle of a couple of writing projects. One is a project to introduce a real person to a group of people who want to know more about him. No, they won’t be able to come and meet him. They are relying upon my ability to use my words to reveal more than what people tend to see when they see him. I am almost done. Its deadline is on the horizon.

My other word project is a repeating one. It’s due every couple of weeks. I use my words to encourage a flock of God, a church family. This is the preaching schedule. I preach 26 weeks of the year, which gives me a lot of time to reflect on the words that I will use, and what it is that I am trying to say to the congregation.

On Sunday nights, we have been travelling through the Prophets in the Old Testament. After all, Jesus told the disciples on the road to Emmaus that the Prophets tell of Jesus. Actually, reading the prophets, I find a lot of overlay between the time of the prophets and what is happening in our time today.

First, I am not saying that in any way that America, particularly the United States, is the new Israel, or the New Chosen People. We are not.  Also, I am comparing preachers to prophets in that they are both responsible for the bringing of a message from God, through His Word. There is some comparison between the two roles.

So this is what we had covered: Jeremiah 14.14. (It’s an easy address to remember.) Actually, back up a verse to 13. “Ah, Lord God! Behold, the prophets say to them, ‘You shall not see the sword, nor shall you have famine, but I will give you assured peace in this place.’” And the Lord said to me, “The prophets prophesy lies in My name. I have not sent them, commanded them, nor spoken to them; they prophesy to you a false vision, divination, a worthless thing, and the deceit of their heart.”

Imagine the word, “preacher”, in that small passage. Too often I see, I hear preachers telling people how basically good they are. But how good are we? Am I doing what I need to be doing, am I preaching messages that equip and challenge my brothers and sisters to dig into the Bible because we as a nation are not ok. Our morality is going down rather quickly.

Do I have the courage to tell you that you are wrong? No, I am not being judgmental. I, too, struggle with what I should not. I know what is right, what is good. I know what is wrong. Too often, I find myself doing the wrong. How long will God put up with me? (This was also Paul’s struggle, as he shared in Romans 7.)

Let me bring this home for you. Are you struggling with doing what you know you ought not do? Thankfully, Jesus, the Messiah, rescues you from your struggle, from your dying flesh. (Romans 7.25) But let’s try something: Since there is no condemnation for us who are in Jesus Christ, let us put off the yoke of slavery to our physical wants. Let us draw upon the Spirit within us, the Holy Spirit, to strengthen us to live according to the adoption that we have received.

This post is rather short, and might even raise more questions. I encourage you to ask me. Let me encourage you. Allow me to answer those questions, not as someone who is perfect, but as your fellow saint. (Oh, you do know that is how God sees us, if we are in Christ Jesus.) I am there with you, struggling with the same sin nature. By His Spirit, we will get through this.


Thank you for allowing me to share with you from my heart. The Father’s blessings be yours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment